Fasting during Ramzan and trying to adhere to your fitness regime can be challenging. The first few days will be marked by changes in sleep patterns that affect hunger/satiety and circardian rhythm.
Follow these tips to stay on track:
From Iftar to Suhoor
- Aim for at least 4-5 meals: Break the fast with 1-2 pcs fruit or 1 dried fruit with egg whites or whey protein in water. In the next meal, you may take pulses/sprouts and proteins eg, fish, paneer or chicken. Keep the fat moderate. The meal before you begin your fast should definitely contain protein, slightly higher fat and fibre eg., avocado, whole eggs, vegetables, nuts.
- 2-3 litres of water including fluids like coconut water, broths, lemon juice, buttermilk, take some glutamine and branched chain amino acids (BCAA’s) if you train hard. Keep tea/coffee to a minimum. Stock up on vitamins and minerals.
- Exercise after your 1st meal.
- Avoid intense exercise just before you break the fast as you are dehydrated.
- If you are diabetic, remember to monitor your sugar levels and adjust medication after speaking to your doctor (guidelines in the next article).
Shwetha Bhatia, Registered Dieteitan, Mind Your Fitness!